The Programme aims at providing efficient and effective manpower for the building industry. The aim will be achieved using the following objectives:
- to provide a conducive environment for lectures, tutorials and practical work for the building students;
- to develop their skills and broaden their experiences through exposure to real life project situations;
- to guide students in providing solutions to real challenges on construction sites by using up-to-date practical and theoretical tools;
- to support the students’ technical ability with appropriate management and moral background information for optimum performance in practice. Building Maintenance/facilities managers;
- to produce graduates that can be registered by the appropriate professional bodies after the completion of their course as professional builders for the construction industry; and
- to increase their proficiency and enhance their performance in their core professional areas.
The academic and practical contents of the Building Programme have also been designed to achieve a standard acceptable for registration with Council of Registered Builders of Nigeria (CORBON) and other allied professional bodies in and outside Nigeria. The Department of Building Technology therefore produces a general professional builder within the period of undergraduate programme who at the time of graduation will be able to:
- create a consultancy link consultant with the architect, structural engineer and quantity surveyor in advisory capacity or consultant on the use of materials and technology within given cost limits on building construction projects;
- create/undertake the organisation and execution of building projects;
- work effectively and efficiently in government establishments, design organisations and on construction sites as site manager, project builder, construction manager, project manager, cost estimator, project planner, contract manager, Building Maintenance/Facilities Manager, etc;
- work in research institutes as researcher; and work as a lecturer in higher institutions of learning, among others.